ACADEMIC WRITING TASK 1
The bar graph shows a comparison of paint used by two companies in 2010. Summarize the information by selecting and reporting the main features and make comparisons where relevant.
Comparison of paint used by ABC & XYZ Company
Paint consumption per liter of ABC Company and XYZ Company for the year 2010 is compared in the double bar graph given.
Paints of variety of colures had been used by both the organizations. A cursory glance at the graph is enough to show that the ABC co. consumed a far greater quantity of paint in the given year. While the consumption of ABC co. had a hugely fluctuation pattern, that of the XYZ co. had a largely declining trend, with sight fluctuations.
The rate of consumption of blue, black and green by ABC co. was as high as around 35 litres. White and yellow were also used in substantial quantities, 23 and 19 litres. Respectively. Red had a rather subdued use of just over 12 %.
XYZ Co. used yellow most (30 litres), which was the only one consumed more in comparison with ABC. Blue and green equally shared 22.5 litres. Each, black and white fared better than red, which had a marginal figure of 5 litres.
To conclude, the ABC Co. apparently overshadowed the XYZ co. in the consumption of paint in the given year.
General Writing Task 1:-
Write a letter to the Information
Officer at the TAPE Information Office asking for information about the
Tertiary Preparation Certificate.
Describe your educational background and your reasons for wanting to do the course.
I would like some information about the Tertiary Preparation Certificate. If possible I would like to enrol in this course as a part-time student in 1992.
I left school eight years ago after completing the 1ISC. Since then I have worked as a sales assistant in both Grace Bros and David Jones. From the beginning of this year I have been in charge of the Children’s Wear Department in Grace Bros, Lily field.
However, in order to advance any further in my career into a managerial position, I will need to do some further study, such as a Marketing or Business Course. Because I have not studied for many years, I believe that I should complete the TPC before enrolling in a Business course.
Could you please send me the information as soon as possible, and tell me the dates for enrolling in the Tertiary Preparation Certificate.
WRITING TASK 2 (AC+GT)
You should spend about 40 minutes on this task
As part of a class assignment you have to write about the following topic:
Drug abuse is becoming a problem in our society. What are the causes of this and what are some solutions?
You should write at least 250 words.
Authentic student answer
Drug abuse is rife in many countries. Billions of dollars are spent internationally to prevent drug usage, treating addicts, and fighting to drug-related crime. Although drugs threaten many societies, their effects can also be completed successfully. This essay looks at some of the effects of drug on society and suggests some solutions to the problem.
Drug abuse causes multiple problems for countries and communities. The medical and psychological effects are very envious. Addicts cannot function as normal members of society. They neglect or abuse their families, eventually require expensive treatment. The second effect is on crime. Huge police resources are needed to fight against smuggling and drug dealing. Criminal gangs and mafia underworlds develop with the money from drugs.
However, the menace of drugs can be fought. Education is the first battle. Children need to be told at home in school about drugs. People need to be aware of the effects so that they can avoid this problem. A second approach is to increase police manpower and power to stop dealers and to enforce the law. Parents need to look after their children and help them with jobs which are needed to give people a role in society.
In conclusion, although the problem of drugs may seem impossible to eliminate, there are concrete steps that can be taken to weaken the hold of drugs on society. The ganger from drugs is too great to ignore.
IELTS Speaking Full Interview
PART 1 – Intro Part
What is your full name?
Hello, I am Rajiv Bhatia.
Can I see you ID?
With pleasure, this is my passport.
Where are you from?
I’m from Bangalore.
Do you work or study?
I am a student.
Are there many art galleries where you live?
No, not that I know of. I live in a small town so I don’t think there are any, though we do have a few museums and other cultural institutions. In our capital city there are quite a few art galleries, however.
Did you like to go to art galleries when you were a child?
I’ve never been that interested in art to be honest, so not really. We were taken to one as part of a trip when I was at school. It has a lot of paintings from famous artists from our country. It was quite interesting to see I guess but I’ve not been to any since.
Should people have to pay to go to art galleries?
I think it depends really. If possible they should be free because if people do have to pay they are less likely to go and see it. But on the other hand these things cost money so a small fee may be necessary if it can keep the art gallery going and keep it open. Ideally though the government should pay for this as I believe this kind of thing is paid for by our taxes.
PART 2 – Cue Card
Describe a time you were sleepy but had to stay awake
– When it happened?
– Why you were sleepy?
– Why you had to stay awake?
– And how you stayed awake?
• There have been many times when I have stayed awake at night.
• I usually do so when my cousins come to stay over for the night at my home.
• We watch some movies and just have fun with each other.
• Here, I would like to talk about a time when I was really tired and sleepy, but I had to stay awake.
• It was the last day of my exams, and I hadn’t slept the whole night before.
• As I was coming out of the examination hall, I was thinking I would go home and hit the bed.
• But when I came home, I was surprised to see a lot of my relatives at home.
• My grandfather had slipped in the bathroom and had injured himself.
• They had already taken him to the hospital and got his X-Ray done.
• There was no fracture, but perhaps a muscle tear in his ankle.
• The doctor had advised strict bed rest for a week.
• My grandfather needed a lot of care.
• He couldn’t even go to the bathroom on his own.
• So, it was decided that we would all take turns to sit by his side and take care of him.
• But all relatives just left one by one.
• I love my grandfather so much that I forgot all about my tiredness and sleep and just sat next to him.
• He was in pain and needed medication from time to time.
• I was happy he did not have a serious fracture.
• I made a cup of strong coffee for myself and was able to stay awake till about 2 am.
• Then my father, who was sleeping in the next room, woke up and I went to bed.
• So, this was the time when I was very sleepy and yet had to stay awake.
PART 3 – Discussion/ Follow ups
1. On what occasions do people need to stay awake even when they are tired?
People need to stay awake when they have to prepare for exams, or when there is some
function at home, or when there is a sick person at home, or when they are travelling.
2. How do they keep awake when they are tired?
They have some tea or coffee, which helps them stay awake. They may also take a few steps and
do some stretching to refresh themselves. They may wash their face or even take a bath to avoid
3. Why do people feel tired a lot nowadays?
Most people are sleep deprived. That’s why they feel tired. People are glued to their gadgets
and don’t sleep on time. The second reason is overwork. People have become workaholics. They
may also suffer nutritional deficiencies leading to anaemia, which may cause tiredness.
4. What kind of people lack sleep?
All kinds of people lack sleep, but the worst affected are the youngsters. They have many
distractions, such as smartphones and tablets. They keep chatting or playing online games and forget about sleep.
Thanks for Visiting our Post.