Advice & Tips before sitting for an IELTS Exam
Below are some tips for the day of your IELTS exam. This tips are to guide you before your IELTS test and also during your test. These tips are for both GT and Academic tests.
On the Day IELTS Exam Tips:
Be prepared for your IELTS exam by making sure you know exactly what will happen in the day of your test. Check all tips and rules below.
1. Sleep & Eat Well
– The IELTS test is long. It takes 2 hours and 40 mins to do the listening, reading and writing test. There is no break between the tests. Make sure you are well rested and have eaten in order to keep your concentration during your test.
– Wear comfortable clothing.. You are not marked on your appearance for any part of the test. So, wear something that you are comfortable in and that gives you confidence.
– The test room might be cold in the aircon is on, so take an extra layer of clothing with you.
– You can take a drink into the exam room as long as it is in a transparent bottle.
4. Arrive Early.
– Make sure you know how long it takes to get to your IELTS test center and exactly where your test will be held. Don’t be late or you won’t be allowed to enter the exam room. You will need to check in so make sure you arrive with plenty of time to spare.
– The listening, reading and writing tests take 2 hours and 40 mins. There is no break so make sure you go to the toilet before you enter the exam room. If you need the toilet during the test, put your hand up and the invigilator will let you go. But you will lose valuable time by doing this and it could affect your score
6. No Phones
– You will not be allowed to take your phone or any other electronic items into the test room.
7. Pen, Pencil & Eraser
– You can take pens, pencils and erasers into your test. You can’t take a dictionary or extra paper into the test room. For your speaking test, you can take nothing into the room except your ID.
– Check with your test center exactly what ID you need to take with you. Don’t forget it.
9. Listen to Instructions
– Listen carefully to all instructions given before your test starts.
– There will be a clock on the exam room. Make sure you know where it is before your test starts so you can keep checking it in your reading and writing test. You can’t take your watch into the exam room.
– If you have any form is disability that will affect your test, you must speak to the test center well before your test date.
12. Focus & Be Calm
– Make sure you go into your test with a clear aim and an understanding of the techniques you need to use. Be calm and confident at all time.
– Don’t cheat: – This is an international test and cheating or copying is not allowed.
– No dictionary: – You are not allowed to use any form of learning aid in your test.
– Don’t take the test paper home: – You are not allowed to take any part of the question paper home with you.