BEST IELTS General Reading Test 20, P-2
GENERAL READING TEST 20 -Passage – 2
GENERAL READING TEST 20
READING PASSAGE – 2
You are advised to spend 20 minutes on Questions 15–27.
Read the text below and answer Questions 15-20.
The Murgatroyde Corporation Employee Manual
Chapter 8: Professional Development Requirements
All employees of the Murgatroyde Corporation are required to attend fifteen hours of professional development workshops or classes in each calendar year. While there are many opportunities provided by the company, professional development hours can also be earned externally at local training centers, colleges, and other locations.
Listings of upcoming professional development opportunities offered by the company are posted on the company website and updated frequently. Employees can register for these workshops online. Before signing up for a particular workshop, employees should check with their supervisors to make sure they can be excused from their duties on the date of the workshop.
Employees who wish to receive professional development credit for attending workshops or courses offered elsewhere should provide their supervisor with materials describing the opportunity. The supervisor will determine whether the workshop or course is pertinent to the employee’s work. After obtaining the supervisor’s approval, the employee can apply to the Human Resources Office for tuition reimbursement if tuition is to be paid.
Employees attending any workshop offered by the company will receive a certificate of attendance. The number of professional development hours earned will be reported to the Human Resources Office by the workshop organizer. In order to receive professional development credit for a course or workshop offered outside the company, the employee must have the workshop organizer complete a company Proof of Attendance form, and the employee must then submit the form to the Human Resources Office within one month of the end date of the course. Timely submission of this form is required in order for credit to be granted. There are will be no exceptions.
QUESTIONS 15 – 20
Complete the sentences below.
Choose NO MORE THAN THREE WORDS from the text for each answer.
Write your answers on lines 15-20 on your answer sheet.
15. Employees can choose from professional development workshops and classes offered…………………………or at local training centers or colleges.
16. Employees can find out which workshops will be offered by looking at……………………..
17. It is the responsibility of…………………………..to decide whether a workshop is relevant.
18. Employees who need help paying for a class or workshop can ask the Human Resources Office for……………………………..
19. The workshop presenter will let the Human Resources Office know how many………………………..the employee should be credited with.
20. Professional development credit will be granted for workshops taken outside of the company if a special form is filled out by……………………………
Read the text below and answer Questions 21-27.
Certain students at Hampford College may be eligible for the college Work-Study Program. To determine eligibility and to apply for the program,read the information below.
* The Hampford College Work-Study Program is open to all full-time Hampford College students, regardless of the particular study program in which they are enrolled. The program is not open to part-time students. Information on financial support programs for part-time students is available in the Counseling Center.
* Before applying for a work study position, the student must demonstrate financial need. To do this, complete the Statement of Financial Need Form, available in the Counseling Center.
* To apply for a work-study position, submit a letter of interest to the Work-Study Program Office, describing your skills and interests. You may also, but are not required to submit a resume describing any previous jobs you may have held. Students both with and without an employment history are eligible for the program.
* Once you have been approved for the program, look at the help-wanted ads posted on the Counseling Center website. All of the jobs are located at the college. You may apply for any job that you are interested in. Please note that job placement is subject to job availability. While we make every effort to place all Work-Study Program students in a job, there are no guarantees.
* All work-study students must be students in good standing at the college; that is, they must receive passing grades in all their courses in order to continue in the program the following semester.
* Work-study positions are generally for one year. Students wishing to continue in the program after one year must resubmit their applications.
Do the following statements agree with the information given in the text about the Hampford College Work-Study Program?
On lines 21-27 on your answer sheet, write:
TRUE – if the statement agrees with the information
FALSE – if the statement contradicts the information
NOT GIVEN – if there is no information on this
21. The Work-Study Program is available to all students at the college.
22. Work-study students must prove that they require monetary support.
23. Work-study students must choose a job that is related to their study program.
24. Previous work experience is required to participate in the Work-Study Program.
25. All students in the Work-Study Program will be given a job.
26. Work-study students cannot stay in the program if they receive failing grades.
27. Work-study students have to apply for the program every year.
15. by the company
16. the company website
17. the supervisor
18. tuition reimbursement
19. professional development hours
20. the workshop organizer
23. Not Given